05/11/2011

Me? Sewing?......

Today was the monthly Eclectic Keepsakes crop.To say I was out of my comfort zone for the class would be an understatement...
Anyone who knows me knows that I don't do sewing - I can sew - but I really am not comfortable hand sewing and definitely not machine sewing. The last time I used a sewing  machine was back in the '70s when I was at school.
The class today was to make a 'scrap catcher'.My friend Jane had made one for each of us last year after seeing one at a crop and I must say that I would be lost without mine- It sits nicely at the side of me and collects all my scraps and bits- and it holds a lot too!
So anyway, the time came for the class and the ladies sat down at the machines with their kits and instructions that had been prepared by Jane,who was on hand to lend a hand as and when was needed.



Then it was my turn and yessssss... with a bit of guidance from Jane I made one! I'm so happy- job done!
 The butterfly material is Laura Ashley and we could choose from Blue,Yellow or Pink gingham for the inside.They are great to take to crops so you always have somewhere to put your scraps of rubbish in. I believe there are one or two kits left. If anyone is interested in one- please email me at dlh44(at)hotmail(dot)com for details.

I managed to finish another couple of layouts from the weekend retreat as well today.
This one was Suzanne Torr's class

and this one was designed by Mel..
So - it's been quite a productive day today!

4 comments:

Alison said...

That looks like very GOOD sewing to me..it's not my 'thing' either Denise!
Alison xx

Sian said...

It looks like a very nifty accessory! One of those might stop me having to get the vacuum cleaner out so often..

I sew, but I do have a guilty secret - I can't change a bobbin! I have to wait for DH to do it for me

Sandie said...

It is so good when you achieve something.. especially when it is something you don't think you can do. Love the pages.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Good for you with the sewing project, Denise! Your scrap catcher is really cute. A friend of mine made one similar to that for me a few years ago and I love it! I keep it next to my sewing machine and I really like that I can drop pieces of string down into it and my cat doesn't dig in it like he would if it were in the trash can under my table. :o)